Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Question of the Week: On Disappointment

Sometime ago I asked a few teammates, readers of the blog, to submit questions. If they could ask three questions what would they want to know. In reading over them recently, one seemed particularly fitting.

How have you dealt with setbacks in your rugby career in terms of injuries/selection disappointments?

For the past 12 plus years, I've played rugby with a hiatus or two mixed in. During this time, I've played at the club, territorial, and national team level. I have experienced hi's and lows playing at all these levels.

With regards to injuries, I've been pretty lucky- knock on wood. Most of my injuries have been relatively minor. The last time I missed a game due to injury was in 2001. It was the national semi-final Berkeley vs. New York. I was playing for Berkeley at the time. As Truehart harassed me from the sidelines, I collided with a New York player going into touch. Took a hit on my knee suffering an exploded bursa sac. I was out for the final.

Honestly, I have not experienced a major injury that has sidelined me for an extended period of time. At the club or TU level, I've played with injuries. The only times "injury" has been a setback, at the national level, decisions not to play me were based on medical opinion.

The most recent injury was a hamstring pull. It kept me from the recent 7's tour to Dubai. I felt I could have played, but that decision was not mine. So instead I played at the 50th Annual New York Sevens. And we, NYRC, were victorious! More on that including photos-hint hint- later. 

I could write at length on dealing with disappointments on selections. But you'll have to wait for part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment