Tuesday, December 23, 2008


My favorite Kooga Blues

Today I met a guy at the gym.
He asked if I play rugby.

Me: "Yes."
Guy: "For NYM?"
Me: "No, that's our men's team. I play for New York. How did you know?"
Guy: "Kooga."

Kooga, of course. Shouldn't every random Joe at the gym draw the connection between Kooga and rugby? I was sporting a familiar uniform, a heather grey hoodie with blue warm up pants, that read "Kooga" down the side of my leg. That was the only visible article of clothing that gave it away.
Their tagline is "Made for Rugby." It says so right on my pants. He did pull out the "NYM"* reference, which most New Yorkers would have no clue about. Apparently he knows Molly Dengler, a New York hooker, who's played every position in the scrum. For such a big city this goes to show New York can be a small world. Going to the gym this morning I certainly did not expect to meet someone who knows Molly. Who would have thunk it? Now if only I could find Gusty Ehrlich. Anyone know Gusty?

*NYM =New York-Manhattan

No comments:

Post a Comment