Friday, December 26, 2008

Today I thought about the "Q" word. At the gym, there was the grey haired man on the treadmill and the twentysomething practicing left handed layups. In the yoga room, I could hear the clock ticking. I was feeling the pressure. Little Rock camp is 3 weeks away and I don't feel ready. On top of this, I've been fighting with my insurance about physical therapy visits. Matt, my PT, told me to stop running, prescribing the pool as a substitute. Since I haven't seen him since early December I'm not sure if I should start running again. I don't feel pool workouts are enough. Any running test, bleep or ten 100's, sounds especially dreadful.

Fitness, aside, I got to thinking about money. For a decade, I've been fundraising for rugby. Raffle tickets, raffle tickets, program ads, more raffle tickets, now calendars. What are the Men's National Team (MNT) players selling? I am fortunate and have worked hard to be in the current pool. As a benefactor, I've witnessed the improved funding of the Women's National Team since 2001. Emil, Al, Jules, and others have worked tirelessly to this end. Although, this WNT program may be the most funded in USA Rugby history, I still feel a burden of sorts. If I don't sell calendars how will I be affected? What does this say about my commitment to the program? Will there ever be a day when a woman can just train?

No comments:

Post a Comment