Monday, December 15, 2008

Swimming in a sauna is NOT recommended


Steam rising from the over heated pool

The "D"amn fast train was darn slow this morning. So I arrived at the gym a little later than I wanted to. Lifting and plyos were on the menu. But I really wanted to go swimming. The pool has set morning hours for adults and they would end before I completed my lifting workout. Instead of rushing through lifting I opted for a swimming workout.

"This feels like a hot spring," said one swimmer as he tested the water with his hand. The pool which is normally 82 degrees read a whopping 92 on the thermometer. Who knew that 10 degrees could make such a difference? Apparently someone left the heat on over night. The life guard warned me prior to getting in, "It's warm." I thought that won't be a problem. I'm a wuss about cold water. Don't like it. Although, I'm usually right, LOL, the life guard was right in this instance. The water was WARM, a bit much when you factor in body heat. But that didn't stop me. I got my swim on in the slow lane, of which I am a serial occupant. It's where I can use the kick board, do the breast stroke, and it's the only lane where I can run. At that time of the morning I'm usally the only one in it. On occassion there's an older gentleman who splashes everywhere, always gets water in my face as his arm comes up and over to complete the crawl stroke. But really I can't complain as it's one of the least populated places in New York City during the morning rush hour.

According to the life guard, it will take a day for the pool to cool down to normal temps. I'm not looking for a repeat of sauna like temperatures. I hope it's back to the normal 82 degrees on my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment