Saturday, November 29, 2008

New York Sevens is Here


They are-a-coming. One hundred and six of them. This is the number of teams entered in the 50th Annual New York Sevens tournament. Woohoo! There are local area teams, including NY-u19 boys and girls and the NY-19 alumni. There are teams from the Northeast and Mid Atlantic Regions, such as the Pocono Mountain Pumas, NOVA, and the University of New Hampshire. Other than the rugby kind, are the really pumas in the Poconos? And thank you Canada! Many teams hail from north of the border, with strong representation from Ontario and Quebec. A special shout out goes to my friends on "Les Bleus". Although, I can't cheer for you if you play New York. Adding to the international representation are the Pillars of Hercules from Gibraltar- find that on a map- the Tregaron Titans from Wales, Cymru, and the Philippines Barbarians from the US/UK/ & Philippines.

There should be an award for most interestingly named team. Contenders for the prize are:
    1. Finbar's Wedding (US-NY)
    2. Montreal Not Too Terriblers (CAN-QC)
    3. Rugby Ranch Mud Boggers (US-OH)
    4. Hopwallops (US-PA)
    5. Team TBA (US-NH)

    I envision a roaming bachelor party for Finbar's wedding. I don't think they have Ranch Mud Boggers in Brooklyn. Actually, I don't know what a Ranch Mud Bogger is. Nor do I know what a Hopwallop is, but it caught my attention. I'll see if I can find some of these teams tomorrow to get to the bottom of some of these burning questions.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment