Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

Election Day 2008 is finally here. It's tiring and exciting at the same time. In a way one can draw parallel's to training for the Olympics or a World Cup, where the event happens every four years, but in reality you've been preparing for much longer, years in fact.

This year, I participated in three US Sevens tours, San Diego, Hong Kong, and Amsterdam as well as footwork camps. When rugby players get together, we talk about rugby. But this year with the primary and election season in the spotlight we talked some politics too. Super Tuesday took place the week of San Diego. There were ardent supporters of Hillary Clinton who talked about having a woman as president. There was some talk about Obama's "race" speech in Hong Kong. And our host at the US Consulate in Amsterdam touched on the elections in general. The next time a US team assembles there will be a new POTUS.

In anticipation of voting, I woke up after 5:00 AM. The polls opened at 6:00AM. I walked the 2 blocks to my local precint, an elementary school. As promised by the media, there was a line out the door. There's never a line. Actually, the wait wasn't too bad. For as many people as there were on line, I was the third person to vote in my precinct. By 6:20AM I voted.

Happy Election Day and remember to VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment