Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Juggling


Jugglers during New York City Marathon, 2008

The New York City Marathon brings out all sorts of participants: your elite marathoners, wheel chair competitors, a heart transplant recipient, cancer survivors, FDNY etc. Last year, I noticed several jugglers in the field. There have probably been jugglers participating for a while. I'm sure I just happen to notice them because juggling is one of the skills players will be tested on at this weekend's camp.

At my gym, there happens to be a juggling class. Last fall, Flatemen happened upon it one Thursday before practice. I had the best of intentions of attending. But it didn't exactly work out. I did make it to one session, where I met Kyle, the red head juggler, kitted in a Mets Orange and Blue jersey. He tried to help quickly advancing me from one to two to three balls. Though he was supportive, offering constructive comments, this was a humbling experience. If all that is required is that I toss and catch two balls with varying rhythm and little synchronicity then I can be hailed a success. Throw in a third ball and it all goes down hill.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that's me!

    Hope the juggling is going well. You definitely have what it takes.

    KP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle,

    Wow you found this post. I don't remember if I mentioned the blog. Actually was at Carmine St last Thursday which would have been my second juggling class. But some how I never made it to the West gym.

    ReplyDelete