Sunday, November 2, 2008

Marathon Sunday

(Runner on Fourth Avenue)

If it's the first Sunday in November in New York City, that means Marathon Sunday has arrived. Close to 40,000 runners make their way through the five boroughs of my hometown. For the record, I was not one of them. Today, I'd be a spectator, a supporter, a hi fiver. Layered and ready to go, I left my apartment and was greeted by the swirling sounds of a helicopter over head. On Marathon Sunday, that could only mean one thing- the runners are coming! For me it was a day of rest. No rugby workout. The only running I did was a mad dash from Fifth Avenue to Fourth Ave, in hopes of catching the women's premiere runners. But it was all for naught. I missed them, normally a pack of 10 to 20 of the top international marathoners preceded by a cavalcade of police and cameras. I managed to see the tail end of the group.

(Ann cheers on runners)

As is tradition, the locals lined Fourth Avenue, with food, picnic chairs and signs. There
was a steel drum band in front of the church. The line at the bagel store was nearly out the door. For the past twenty something years, if I was in New York, chances are I was watching the marathon on Fourth in Bay Ridge. But Ann, a former Brooklynite and an old college friend was in town. So I hopped on the R line to Park Slope to meet up with her and a few others at Blue Sky on Fifth. Serendipitously, I ran into to two separate groups of NYRC players/fans while there. More on them later.

(Locals on Fourth Avenue)

Fueled with baked goods and warm beverages, we headed to Fourth, the main marathon artery in Brooklyn. By now the streets were lined with runners and supporters. We joined in the chorus of cheering, calling out runner's name, printed on their shirts, or calling out countries."Go Italia." "Allez les Bleus!" "Viva Mexico!" Seeing a runner perk up at the call of their name, offering a nod, is little gift. The camaraderie between the runners and supporters can be intoxicating. It's truly NYC at it's best.

(Runners on Fourth Avenue)

After seeing my friends off, I made my way over to an NYRC contingency, G Squared, Buss, and MB. They had their fingers out and appeared to be really into supporting the runners. Buss in particular seemed to be getting a work out in. This could explain why she was tired and possibly just a little horse when it was time to go home. She was a sight to see. Buss' energy and finger was a magnet, that runners literally ran towards just to hi five. Sometimes she met them halfway creeping into the street.

G Squared and Company (Buss, MB, Jayne, CJ, and Dar)


Buss


Cheering is hard work (CJ, Dar, & Buss)

So Ann, Rachel or anyone else who finds themselves in NYC on the first Sunday in November, remember that's Marathon Sunday. If you're not running. You should definitely come out to cheer.

3 comments:

  1. Marathon Sunday has always been one of my favorite NYC days...combines sport, friends, family and good energy. Every year athletes amaze me and make me remember why, I'm still an athlete. This year the top people that tugged at my heart strings were 1) The three people who did the marathon on crutches, keeping pace with runners. All three were one legged amputees 2)The two guys who ran with a "cheeta leg" (think Aimee Mullens) and were flying 3)the guy who was running in full firefighter gear 4) The guy who survived a heart transplant.

    These people and the marathon is what sport is about...the least i can do is cheer!! :)~ Buss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading your blog! And I'm in your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS my favorite day in NYC. It is a time when neighbors come together to flood the streets to cheer on strangers. Nothing else is quite like it. I'd never run it, but it will remain in the top of my all time favs!

    ReplyDelete